Asbestos Lung Cancer
Smoking May Not Be the Only Cause of Your Lung Cancer. Consider Asbestos Exposure.
If you were diagnosed with lung cancer, and you smoked, do not assume that smoking was the only cause. It’s very possible that you were also exposed to asbestos in the 1960’s and 1970’s. People who lived or worked around asbestos, and were smokers, are 10 to 50 times more likely to get lung cancer.
That’s important to know, because if your cancer is partially due to asbestos exposure, you may be entitled to compensation. Asbestos manufacturers knew the risks. They just didn’t care. They let their workers breathe in asbestos fibers, and take it home on their clothes to expose their families. We’re here to make them pay for the damaged they caused you.
How We Help Our Asbestos Lung Cancer Clients
SWMW Law works smarter, faster, and harder than anyone else to make sure you recover the compensation you and your family deserve. We go above and beyond to help eliminate your stress and worry about paying for the medical care you need, and your mounting personal bills. We work overtime to put money in your hands as quickly as possible – for some clients, that can happen within 60 days of our first meeting with you and your family.
We tirelessly investigate the facts of your exposures to asbestos; we hunt down the defendants that caused your injury; we relentlessly prosecute your case against those defendants to compensate you fairly for your medical bills, your pain and suffering, and the time lost with your loved ones. And because we know this is likely the only time many of our clients have hired an attorney to represent them, we go the extra mile to explain the process and do everything we can so you can focus on your health and your family.
Our results speak for themselves. Over the course of our attorneys’ careers, we have fought for thousands of injured people and their families. We have negotiated tens of thousands of settlements. We have tried and won cases against billion-dollar companies. All combined, our attorneys have worked to recover well over $500,000,000 in compensation for hard-working people and their families. But at the end of the day, we know all the money in the world won’t give you more time, won’t stop the ravages of cancer, and won’t give you back your loved one, so that’s why one of the most meaningful signs of a job well done is the sincere and heartfelt thanks our clients have shared with us over the years.
If you think you or a loved one has lung cancer due to asbestos exposure, it’s most likely the cancer was contracted by exposure in a workplace or at home. Sadly, lung cancer can also be contracted through second–hand exposure if someone in your household unknowingly brought home asbestos fibers on their clothes or skin.
Many companies that knew about the dangers of using asbestos failed to inform their clients, customers and employees (and their families) that their products or premises included asbestos, or that asbestos would increase their risk of developing lung cancer later in life – especially if they also smoked.
Because these defendants failed to disclose what they knew about asbestos and smoking, a big part of our job as your attorneys will be to help you investigate exactly how and when you were exposed. You can begin to explore possible jobs or places you may have been exposed to asbestos here. If you have an idea of some of the jobs or ways you may have been exposed, you can find a more detailed list of asbestos trusts and defendants here.
Our Track Record for Lung Cancer Cases
We are very proud of what we’ve accomplished for our clients. Over the course of our careers, we have been able to make sure clients can easily pay for the medical care they needed, to take that “bucket list” trip with their spouse, to pay off their mortgages for their family, or start college funds for all of their grandchildren. And we continue to build on that every day with our clients. Not surprisingly, there is more than one way to secure compensation for our clients, and we specialize in every one of them. Below are two of the most basic ways we can obtain compensation for you.
Asbestos Bankruptcy Trusts
There are tens of billions of dollars in the asbestos bankruptcy trust system for people diagnosed with mesothelioma and lung cancer. Beginning in the early 1980s, some companies decided that they wanted to buy out their past and future asbestos liabilities using a little used section in the bankruptcy laws. They set up trusts with insurance money, stocks and cash. Bankruptcy Courts throughout the US approved the trusts. Their sole purpose is to compensate people who are diagnosed with mesothelioma and lung cancer because they were exposed to that company’s asbestos products. While some of these so-called bankruptcy trusts are now just paying pennies on the dollar to asbestos victims, more often than not, many of these companies like US Gypsum and Johns-Manville are still successfully operating today.
There are hundreds of companies that made asbestos products, used asbestos at their factories, and sold asbestos products that were used in homes across the United States. Chances are that you did not get mesothelioma from the negligence of just one of them. Most of these companies have already been sued many times. We know how to go after them, their insurance companies and other responsible parties to compensate you. We know how to argue that your lung cancer is not just from smoking, and we’re armed with facts about how asbestos exponentially increased your risk. We move quickly and decisively to file suit in the best jurisdictions for our clients’ cases. And we press hard for trial dates that can happen for our living lung cancer clients as soon as six (6) months from the date we request a trial. This helps ensure that we maximize your compensation.
What to Expect
If we take your case, you can rest assured we will take care of you throughout the process, keeping you informed, answering your calls and returning your emails. You’ll never be left wondering what’s going on. Here’s what to expect:
- We will contact you as soon as possible, so contact us onlineanytime day or night to get started.
- We will come to you, wherever you are in the USA.
- We will advance all case costs and won’t ask you to pay a dime until we secure settlements or a verdict for you. You never pay anything out of pocket.
- We will ask you the precise questions we have fine-tuned over our years of experience to quickly and accurately identify what asbestos exposures caused your lung cancer and what companies are responsible for making you sick. You don’t need to know all the answers the first time we talk; many of our clients don’t. That’s why we’ll work with you to figure out where, when and how you were exposed to asbestos. You can start by looking here to figure out some of the products that may have caused your illness.
- We will investigate mountains of data and documents we’ve obtained in our decades of experience representing families just like yours. We will pull together all the right evidence, including prior sworn statements and depositions from other workers at your worksites, on your Navy ship, or in your school. We will gather the internal asbestos company documents and bankruptcy trust exposure site lists that tell us where asbestos companies sold their poisonous products. We will work tirelessly to complete the story of what companies are responsible for how you were exposed to asbestos.
- We will talk to your family, friends, and co-workers, too – while they may not know it, they may have some important information.
- We will integrate your information with our team, and get everyone working immediately to file your case.
- We will keep you updated to let you know how your case is progressing.
- We will leave no stone unturned as we explore every possibility to help you obtain the just compensation you and your family deserve.